Search This Blog

Friday 8 February 2019

Tuning up

The passion for music is something that never leaves me, no matter what... Listening to the melodies, the words, guitar rifs and drum beats all mixed in, I love it.
Drums are my passion...
I was brought up in Gibraltar and home was a modest flat so not much room for a set of drums so... I eventually got a guitar.
Why guitar, I liked it too and it was easy to play, no extra storage and a good sound would be emitted  who knows, I could be the next Michael Schenker, Richie Blackmore or Clapton!!!
I have been playing guitar since I was 16, buying my first guitar with my first wages as a student nurse.
I bought a black guitar, no amp with it and no case, just a large cardboard box. A shiny new axe!
The music store did provide me with a strap and a few picks so a good start. Would you believe I cannot remember the make!

I got it home and tuned it up and... It was dreadful  I was dreadful
The sound was far from sweet, I had a lot to learn.
The next thing on my list was the amplifier. It was massive and a great sound, a Marshall amp. I'd sit on it in the living room and ay LOUD.. 🎵
Next was an effect pedal, a Wah-Fuzz... Awsome.
I also had a Red Base guitar and quite liked playing that... Easier!

I played my guitar every day for a couple of years and then I left home, Gibraltar, leaving it behind.
Over the years, we purchased a couple of second hand acoustic guitars and I'd play 'smoke on the wayer' and other 'easy' tunes for my boys when they were little.
Keiron plays guitar and he is awsome... I now rely on his little tips to help me out and take his seconds
Paul used to play keyboard although he's not played for a fair few years. Sean bought himself a drum kit in his teens and was nevour too devoted to it.. In fact, I played them more, after all , always dreamt of it.

I have picked up a few tricks over the years but never had any formal training. Time has also been pretty scarce when you have parenting duties, work etc.
Hence one of the great things about  retirement.
I love my acoustic and I play that one the most, then I have one of Keirons old guitars, a nice 'Fender Strat style'... I love it. There's a cool effect pedal and a small practice amp, can't sit on that one.. Not with my back 😜

Time is finally available for me to tune up and bang out some tunes, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, America, the Stones, MSG, Scorpions... The oldies!

Who knows, maybe the next career as a musician?
I doubt it!!!
However, I am enjoying the tunes

No comments:

Post a Comment