Search This Blog

Sunday 24 February 2019

Dreams

I wish I pursued my dreams and aspirations, and not the life others expected of me

I have been to many funerals over the many years of work... I believed this to be both, part of my work in giving my last respects to my patients and also supporting their families. 

In a few services, Frank Sinatras's "My Way" is played... In it, there is a segment that goes.... 

'Regrets, I've had a few

But then again, too few to mention

I did what I had to do

And saw it through without exemption' 

So, do you they have any regrets? 

I have just been reading an interesting piece of research carried out in Australia & according to the research, Most people do.

It appears our regrets gain a lot of weight as we approach the end of our lives. 

The researcher, Bronnie Wear, carried out her study on patients in a hospice. 

'Knowing you are going to die in a few weeks' is a very difficult emotion to contend with. Bronnie noticed as her patients experienced a range of emotions that usually started with denial, and then fear, anger, remorse, more denial, and eventually, acceptance.

They discussed regrets and 5 regrets stood out.

I think this is a powerful piece that will enable us to reflect and I wish I didn't work so hard features strongly with all the male patients and some of the females.

Work can take over people's lives and we must learn to afford the luxury of spending more time with friends and especial our loved ones.

If I asked you to make a list of family functions and important milestones you have missed, there would be a fair few?

Most respondants said they would simplify their lifestyle and make better choices, they may not have needed all that money they were chasing.

No comments:

Post a Comment